Things you need to know about studying Psychology in Canada
You want to study in Canada?
You don’t know which major to study in Canada?
So if you are a person who wants to discover the wonders of human psychology and wants to challenge yourself in new fields, studying psychology in Canada is ideal for you.
Psychology in Canada
Psychology is the science of human behavior and mind. Psychology goes into every corner of life from economy, politics, society, education culture to medicine ... Therefore, psychology is the science of studying human behavior through psychological manifestations, going into spiritual research in all areas of life. Therefore, those who pursue this field of study can know how to balance themselves and help others lead a better life.
Studying psychology in Canada, you will be well-trained with basic and advanced knowledge about psychology such as communication psychology, labor psychology, educational psychology, family psychology, cognitive behavioral therapy, school counselling or topics of situation handling in life...
What will you learn when studying abroad psychology in Canada?
Any profession has certain requirements and challenges. In particular, the psychology is more demanding and specialized such as requiring rich knowledge and deep understanding of cultural and social fields. You are required to be honest, objectively judgmental, sensitive and open and especially subject to high pressure at work as well as practice patience, listen to others to share, empathize and understand matters...
Studying psychology in Canada, you will be trained to:
- Know how to identify psychological issues, assess the extent of disease based on symptoms
- Solve problems that patients encounter
- Know how to select sources of quality information about psychology such as the internet, books and newspapers ...
- Know how to write a report on a psychological issue in the academic style
Job opportunities for psychology graduates
As you know Canada is one of the most developed countries in the world, so living and working here, workers will face many different pressures such as finance, family, society etc., which leads to increasing of psychological problems. Therefore, psychology is one of Canada’s industries that is in high demand for huge human resources to meet the needs of society.
For the past 15 years, the industry's unemployment rate has always been low at only 4-6% and psychology has always been in the top 100 best occupations in Canada. Therefore, students who study psychology in Canada can completely be assured.
Students after graduation can do the following jobs:
- Psychologists at educational institutions
- Lecturers specializing in psychology at universities
- Career counselling for students
- Psychotherapist at the hospital
- Counsellors on daily life issues such as love, marriage and family ...
The salary of psychology will depend on the number of years of experience. The average salary of a psychologist is about C$ 77,012 per year. For professionals with 5 years or more experience, the salary can reach over C$ 85,000/year.
General requirements to study psychology in Canada
You can study undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Canada. It takes 4 years to complete an undergraduate program and usually 1 year to complete a postgraduate.
To study this field, you not only need passion and interests in behavioral research, human psychology but also need to have certain skills in analytical skills, mathematical ability and data processing to make accurate judgments.
To meet general requirements to study psychology in Canada, you need to graduate from high school or above and have at least 6.0 IELTS.
Classification of Canadian psychology degrees
In Canada there are 4 types of degrees in psychology that you can refer to to choose for yourself the appropriate form of training. They are:
- Associate Degree: It takes only 2 years to study an associate program at a college or university in Canada. However, this degree is only a type of support if your job requires some knowledge of psychology. Therefore, if you only have this degree, your job opportunities will be lower than other types of degree.
- Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor's degree is a program chosen by lots of students to study in Canada. Students studying psychology in Canada will be trained in the necessary skills and knowledge in psychology. Having a bachelor degree in psychology will help you find a job easily. Also, if you want to become a doctor, this is just the foundation for a Master’s Degree, Ph.D and Doctor.
- Master’s Degree: To study a master's degree, a bachelor's degree is required. To study a masters degree in psychology in Canada, it will take 2-3 years to complete the degree program. The program will provide intensive training on how to apply theory. With a master's degree in hand, it's easy to find a job at a government agency, health care service, or university.
- Ph.D: This is a doctor's degree. It will take 5-7 years to complete this program. You will have to practice at the hospital under the supervision of a doctor, the training program will focus on applying the knowledge you have learned. Graduated with a Ph.D, you can become a psychiatrist at the hospital or open a private office.
- Doctor of Psychology: this is the program for international students who want to study and practice psychology. You will need to take a national certification exam to become a psychologist.
Leading schools that deliver psychology courses in Canada
University of the Fraser Valley
The University of the Fraser Valley is Canada’s school many students choose to study. It ranks first in British Columbia for the quality of teaching, the learning environment as well as the interaction between teachers and students.
Psychology is one of the key disciplines of the University of the Fraser Valley. Here students will learn about research areas, especially in the last 2 years of the bachelor program, students will chose a major to study based on their interests.
In addition, the University of the Fraser Valley offers honours for elite students in psychology. Therefore, if you enroll in this program you will be supported by professors. As a result, these graduates are often highly appreciated by employers.
Humber College is one of the top-quality colleges in Canada. This is a gathering place for professors with many years of experience in the field of teaching. Studying in such a good environment, students studying psychology in Canada will develop more skills of themselves, better serve the future job.
Studying psychology at Humber College, students are also provided with the skills needed for future work.
Carleton University is one of the most popular schools in Ottawa. The study programs here are very practical, helping students gain knowledge and opportunities to practice to improve their own experience.
Studying Psychology at Carleton University, students can choose from different majors such as:
- Cognitive Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Forensic psychology
- Health Psychology
- Organizational Psychology
- Personality and Social Psychology
Where can you directly apply to study psychology in Canada?
You can submit your application on ApplyZones' free online study abroad platform.
You just need to search and choose the course that you are eligible on ApplyZones, then prepare all the application documents and scan them into the system, ApplyZones will help you automatically send them to your desired school.
Especially, this process is completely free, helping students save time and money in searching and applying for studying abroad. In addition, ApplyZones also helps students apply for a student visa as well as understand the entire time and process of studying abroad from applying to receiving a visa letter to study abroad.
For customers, ApplyZones partners who are overseas study consultancy centers, partners will easily find customers, find information, compare courses, study programs as well as tuition fees, helping save time and manpower in counselling students who want to study Logistics in Canada. Especially, ApplyZones also helps partners to promote their brands to more students
In addition to customers who are students and overseas study consultancy centers, ApplyZones is also a bridge between students and the school, helping the brand of the school be widely known by more students through the ApplyZones information system.
In addition, with proprietary technology, Applyzones helps schools to manage the admission criteria, reduce the volume and increase the efficiency of the admission work. Besides, with the smart membership management system, Applyzones helps schools to be able to set goals by filtering and statistics of potential markets. This will be a major step forward, making it easier and more effective to make selection, counselling and enrollment strategies.
Studying psychology in Canada become more simple just with a few clicks - ApplyZones