Love film and fascinated by all aspects of media? Study both in tandem.
This distinctive course offers an impressive range of topics, with more emphasis on history and analysis, you’ll study modules in film, media and cultural studies. You’ll cover elements including film analysis, film theory, TV genres, scriptwriting, the study of mass media, and cultural representation.
Study the areas that most appeal to your own imagination and interests and balance theoretical subjects alongside practical based modules in media production. Utilise our fantastic facilities and equipment in our dedicated media centre, including production studios complete with green screen and camera systems and our own 200-seat cinema.
Get experience. Take a work placement; get involved with award-winning Spark Sunderland; write for Sunderland’s daily paper, The Sunderland Echo; or work alongside BBC Newcastle Journalists in our mediaHUB, home to student-run websites covering sport, news, entertainment and fashion.
Throughout your studies, you’ll be guided and supported by our experts. You’ll work with academics at the Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies and study alongside scriptwriters, film makers, radio producers, and independent film producers. Many of the key books you'll learn from have been written by the staff who teach you.
In your final year, you can choose to develop your expertise in academic research through a written dissertation or produce a feature length screenplay or TV drama script as your major project.
More info: Click here
Year 1 (national level 4):
- Introduction to Media and Cultural Studies (20 credits)
- Introduction to Film Studies (20 credits)
- History of Cinema (20 credits)
- Contemporary Cinema (20 credits)
- Scriptwriting (20 credits)
- Production Skills (20 credits)
Year 2 (national level 5):
- Media Studies 1 (20 credits)
- Film Theory and Criticism (20 credits)
- Film and Society (20 credits)
- Animated Film (20 credits)
Optional modules (choose 2):
- Screenwriting (20 credits)
- Shoot Edit Share (20 credits)
- Cultural Theory and Popular Culture 1 (20 credits)
- Media in Everyday Lives (20 credits)
- Academic Research Skills (20 credits)
Final year (national level 6):
- Dissertation (40 credits), or:
- Practical Project: Scriptwriting (40 credits)
Optional modules (choose up to four):
- Film Studies Special Topic (20 credits)
- Film and Feeling: Music, Performance, Genre (20 credits)
- Film, Horror and The Body (20 credits)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Television (20 credits)
- Popular Music Cultures (20 credits)
- Media Studies 2 (20 credits)