Course Image
Image of The University of Sunderland (SUNDERLAND)
Social Work
Social Work BA (Hons)
Social Work BA (Hons)

Social Work BA (Hons)

  • ID:US440108
  • Level:3-Year Bachelor's Degree
  • Duration:
  • Intake:
  • Type:Full-time

Fees (GBP)

  • TuitionFee/Year:£11,500.00
  • LivingFee/Year:£4,000.00
  • TuitionFee/Year:£11,500.00
  • LivingFee/Year:£4,000.00
Estimated Total/program:
Accept letter

Admission Requirements

Entry requirements

- Our typical offer is:

  • Grade 6.0 out of 10 from Upper Secondary School Certificate

We also require three passes at GCSE grade C or above, which must include Mathematics and English Language, or an equivalent qualification, for example; a minimum of Level 2 Key Skills in Communication and Application of Number. If you have studied for a new GCSE for which you will be awarded a numerical grade then you will need to achieve a grade 4 or above.

Additional requirements

- It is essential that you have experience (voluntary or paid) in a social care type setting, usually beyondcollege placements. This could include volunteering at weekends, evenings, or school/college holidays. We also accept personal experience as a carer or involvement with social care or social work. You should clearly describe your experience in the personal statement section of your application. This will be discussed with you at interview. It is important that you can reflect on your experience and relate it to a career in social work.

- Social work education is regulated by the Health Care Professions Council. We are required to ensure that candidates are 'fit to practice' as qualified social workers.

- Applicants are required to complete a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check prior to the start of the course. The provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act do not apply to this course , however the amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are 'protected' and are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account.

- If you are made an offer of a place on the course, we will ask you to make a written statement about incidents and ask for permission to share this anonymised information with our partner placement agencies for a judgement on your 'fitness to practice'. We may need your permission to contact the agencies involved in any incidents that you declare. Any offer of a place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory outcome of this process. However, declaring something does not necessarily mean that you will be prevented from attending the course and we judge each case on its merits.

Please note: before we can confirm any offer of a place to you, we require:

  • Two satisfactory references
  • A satisfactory health clearance
  • An Enhanced Disclosure Barring Service check
  • A completed declaration form about any previous criminal convictions, either spent or unspent, and any disciplinary hearing or investigation related to vulnerable adults or safeguarding young people. You will need to pass our Fitness to Practice checks on these declarations.

English requirements

If you were educated outside the UK, you should normally offer the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at a score of 7.0 in all components

Other requirements


Course Information

BA (Hons) Social Work is the essential first step to becoming a qualified Social Worker. When you have graduated, you will be eligible to register as a social worker with the Health and Care Professions Council.

Social Workers improve the lives of a huge range of people. You could work with people with learning difficulties, children and families, older people, people who have problems with drug and alcohol misuse, people who experience mental health problems, or disabled people.

More info: Click here

See moreSee less

Pre Courses

No Course!
See moreSee less

Pathway Courses

No Course!
See moreSee less

Career Opportunity

Career Opportunity

BA (Hons) Social Work is a highly practical qualification. After graduation you will be eligible to register as a social worker with the Health and Care Professions Council.

Social Work is a very broad discipline. You could work with older people, young offenders, people with mental health issues, foster carers, children at risk of abuse, or any other individuals at risk of harm to themselves or others.

Social Workers work in a variety of organisations including local authorities, NHS Trusts, residential care, schools, the voluntary and private sector.

Ability to settle

Overseas Student Health Cover

Same Courses

Close search