University of Huddersfield Background Image
Image of University of Huddersfield
Operating Department Practice
Operating Department Practice (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc(Hons)
Operating Department Practice (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc(Hons)

Operating Department Practice (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc(Hons)

  • ID:UH440218
  • Level:3-Year Bachelor's Degree
  • Duration:
  • Intake:

Fees (GBP)

Estimated Total/program:
Accept letter

Admission Requirements


Entry Requirements

English Requirement  

  •  IELTS is is 6.5 overall with no element lower than 6.0, or equivalent will be considered acceptable

Other Requirements

  • You must be employed as an Apprentice Operating Department Practitioner and provide a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health clearances.



Course Information

This apprenticeship course has been designed to provide the opportunity to study Operating Department Practice BSc(Hons) whilst being employed in the perioperative environment. During this apprenticeship you’ll get a strong grounding in the theory exploring what is involved in the three interconnected aspects of the role: anaesthetic, surgical and post anaesthetic.

  • You’ll have the opportunity to practise your skills in our simulated operating theatre, enabling you to experience the operating theatre environment.
  • The course is regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) so you’ll benefit from experienced staff, specialist labs and great links to NHS Trusts and our partners in the private sector.
  • Our clinical placements opportunities enable you to gain valuable hands-on experience in a work-based learning environment.
  • You’ll get the chance to work in the real world as part of interdisciplinary teams in a variety of care settings, so you’ll be able to see how ODPs contribute to all sorts of specialist areas.
  • You’ll have the opportunity to hear the experiences and viewpoints from service users and carers, who are part of the Public Partnership Group.

In line with the apprenticeship model, the course is designed to support a training in practice approach. Whilst undertaking the course you’ll remain employed by your host organisation and will spend 80% of your time in your current workplace. The remaining 20% will be spent at the University undertaking theory work. The course culminates in an End Point Assessment (EPA) which is independently assessed by the Higher Education Institution (Skills Funding Agency, 2018). The course is designed to be progressively demanding and once qualified you’ll be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

More info: Click here


Year 1
Core modules:

  •  Applied Anatomy and Physiology for Operating Department Practice
  •  Introduction to Perioperative Practice and Patient Care (Placement 1)
  •  Principles of Anaesthesia for Operating Department Practice
  •  Principles of Surgery for Operating Department Practice
  •  Research and Professional Accountability for Operating Department Practice

Year 2
Core modules:

  •  Critical Care of the Perioperative Patient
  •  Implementation of Perioperative Practice (Placement 2)
  •  Patho-physiological Processes Related to Peri-operative Practice
  •  Research and Professional Accountability for Operating Department Practice 2
  •  Theories of Perioperative Practice

Year 3
Core modules:

  •  Developing Perioperative Practice
  •  Leadership and Management in the Perioperative Environment
  •  Managing Enhanced and Complex Perioperative Practice
  •  Operating Department Practitioner Integrated Degree Apprenticeship End Point Assessment
  •  Perioperative Research-based Project
  • You'll also complete the End Point Assessment.
See moreSee less

Pre Courses

No Course!
See moreSee less

Pathway Courses

No Course!
See moreSee less

Career Opportunity

Career Opportunity

Career opportunities after successfully completing this course and gaining entry onto the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) register could include working as a theatre practitioner in hospital critical care environments.

Other opportunities may include roles as perioperative practitioners, specialist practitioners, team leaders, managers, educators and academics both in clinical settings and universities, as well as working in other areas where critically ill patients are cared for.

Ability to settle

Overseas Student Health Cover

Insurance-Single: 300 GBP/year

Same Courses

Close search