This apprenticeship course has been designed to provide the opportunity to study Operating Department Practice BSc(Hons) whilst being employed in the perioperative environment. During this apprenticeship you’ll get a strong grounding in the theory exploring what is involved in the three interconnected aspects of the role: anaesthetic, surgical and post anaesthetic.
- You’ll have the opportunity to practise your skills in our simulated operating theatre, enabling you to experience the operating theatre environment.
- The course is regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) so you’ll benefit from experienced staff, specialist labs and great links to NHS Trusts and our partners in the private sector.
- Our clinical placements opportunities enable you to gain valuable hands-on experience in a work-based learning environment.
- You’ll get the chance to work in the real world as part of interdisciplinary teams in a variety of care settings, so you’ll be able to see how ODPs contribute to all sorts of specialist areas.
- You’ll have the opportunity to hear the experiences and viewpoints from service users and carers, who are part of the Public Partnership Group.
In line with the apprenticeship model, the course is designed to support a training in practice approach. Whilst undertaking the course you’ll remain employed by your host organisation and will spend 80% of your time in your current workplace. The remaining 20% will be spent at the University undertaking theory work. The course culminates in an End Point Assessment (EPA) which is independently assessed by the Higher Education Institution (Skills Funding Agency, 2018). The course is designed to be progressively demanding and once qualified you’ll be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
More info: Click here
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology for Operating Department Practice
- Introduction to Perioperative Practice and Patient Care (Placement 1)
- Principles of Anaesthesia for Operating Department Practice
- Principles of Surgery for Operating Department Practice
- Research and Professional Accountability for Operating Department Practice
- Critical Care of the Perioperative Patient
- Implementation of Perioperative Practice (Placement 2)
- Patho-physiological Processes Related to Peri-operative Practice
- Research and Professional Accountability for Operating Department Practice 2
- Theories of Perioperative Practice
- Developing Perioperative Practice
- Leadership and Management in the Perioperative Environment
- Managing Enhanced and Complex Perioperative Practice
- Operating Department Practitioner Integrated Degree Apprenticeship End Point Assessment
- Perioperative Research-based Project
- You'll also complete the End Point Assessment.