The Postgraduate Certificate in Primary Mathematics is for qualified teachers who wish to transform their own teaching practice and make an impact upon the mathematics teaching and learning within their own school. During the course we focus on mathematical thinking, reasoning and problem solving in primary mathematics without any assumption of pre-existing mathematical knowledge.
You will enhance your own mathematical reasoning and relate this to effective teaching in the classroom. We support you to work with colleagues in your school to develop mathematics teaching and learning through a range of professional strategies, such as coaching and mentoring.
In this way, the programme encourages you to strengthen your own practice whilst also having a sustainable impact upon your school’s professional development. Through this programme you will attain professional recognition as a primary mathematics specialist teacher, giving you the confidence to teach and lead in this subject.
This course is Masters’ level professional development for primary mathematics teachers. It focuses on new and evolving aspects of maths teaching such as fluency, reasoning and mastery. It therefore reflects prevailing government agendas.
You will have the opportunity to:
- enhance your mathematical subject and teaching knowledge
- further understand how your pupils learn mathematics
- evaluate your own learning to improve your teaching practice
- build your collaborative and leadership skills through peer coaching
- learn how to develop your schools’ approach to mathematics teaching and learning
More info: Click here