Our Social Work BA (Hons) aims to equip you with the knowledge, skills and values appropriate for work in a variety of social work settings. The teaching and learning on this course is delivered by qualified/registered social work academic staff that are actively engaged in research and regularly contribute to publications, consultancy and direct practice.
Social workers deal with some of the most vulnerable people in society at times of heightened stress. By the end of the course you will have been assessed against the Standards of Proficiency for Social Work and the Professional Capabilities Framework and will be able to apply to the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) for registration.
Competent practice is essential for the award and you will undertake 200 days of practice learning (placement and skills for practice) during the programme. Practice learning through placement experience is undertaken in blocks throughout the course, you will complete: 30 days experiential skills for practice at level four (in the University), 70 days (in placement) at level five and 100 days (in placement) at level six.
In your course the value base of social work is emphasised and you will engage in teaching designed to support your learning and understanding of anti-oppressive, anti-discriminatory and anti-racist practice in a model that promotes social justice. You will have an opportunity to undertake a five-day shadow placement in your first year with an employer provider. The first year is designed to prepare and assess you on your ‘readiness for direct practice’ prior to your first practice placement in your second year.
More info: Click here
- Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- Understanding Law and Policy in Social Work (20 Credits)
- An Introduction to Professional Social Work Practice (20 Credits)
- Preparing for Professional Social Work Practice (20 Credits)
- Theories and Models for Social Work Practice (20 Credits)
- Understanding the Life Span in the Social Context (20 Credits)
- Academic Skills for Social Work (20 Credits)
- Research for Social Workers (20 Credits)
- 70 Day Practice Placement (40 Credits)
- Assessing and Managing Risk in Social Work (20 Credits)
- Social Work with Individuals, Groups and Families (20 Credits)
- Social Justice, Power and Professional Judgement in an Inter-professional Context (20 Credits)
- 100 Day Practice Placement (60 Credits)
- Professional Identity and Transition into Practice (20 Credits)
- Dissertation (40 Credits)