University of Northampton Background Image
Image of University of Northampton
The National Award for SEN Co-ordination
The National Award for SEN Co-ordination PGCert
The National Award for SEN Co-ordination PGCert

The National Award for SEN Co-ordination PGCert

  • ID:UNIC440176
  • Level:Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma
  • Duration:
  • Intake:

Fees (GBP)

Estimated Total/program:
Accept letter

Admission Requirements

Entry requirement

We would require you to have an undergraduate degree or equivalent as well as the following:

  • have qualified teacher status (QTS, QTLS or EYTS)
  • completed your NQT year (or probationary year)
  • Have a recommendation from the head teacher of the school you are working in (via ‘Head Teacher Reference form’.) If you are currently working as a head teacher, you must have a recommendation from the Chair of Governors.

English requirement

  • Minimum standard – IELTS 7.0 (or equivalent)

Course Information

Since 2009 the National Award in SEN Co-ordination has been mandatory if you are the designated SENCo for your school and is required to be completed within three years of taking up the post. The National Award is also relevant if you are aspiring to the role of SENCo as part of your career development, or if you became a SENCo before 2009. Completing this course also gives you 60 credits towards the MA in SEN and Inclusion.

The course is taught at local venues across the East Midlands following the launch day at our Waterside Campus on Saturday 12th October 2019.

We will help you to:

  • develop inclusive teaching approaches and co-ordinate provision for pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in your school
  • apply methods to identify additional needs and monitor the progress of pupils with SEN and/or disabilities
  • instigate evidence-based, strategic approaches when deploying, supporting and managing other teaching and support staff
  • establish networks and partnerships with other SENCos and local partners

More info: Click here

See moreSee less

Pre Courses

You may be required to complete an English Language course or Foundation program before being able to enrol on to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree program.

  • Pre-sessional English Program (PEP)
See moreSee less

Pathway Courses

See moreSee less

Career Opportunity

Career Opportunity

  • Teacher

Ability to settle

Overseas Student Health Cover

Same Courses

Close search