Our single honours degree in Sport Development and Physical Education explores the ways that sport, physical education and physical activity is delivered and organised across schools and local communities. You are encouraged to think critically about current and historical practice in sport development and Physical Education and reflect on your own experiences of sport and PE.
This course allows you to study key disciplines within sport development and physical education and includes an opportunity to undertake a work placement at a local sport or physical education provider. A strong emphasis is placed on the application of theory to understanding real-world issues such as barriers to participation, performance pathways, coaching and teaching practice and government influence on sport.
The course provides a mixture of classroom-based sessions (to introduce theories and concepts) and practical activities that enable you to develop your own coaching/teaching delivery styles to children and adults.
There are also several opportunities to learn ‘off campus’ through study trips, work placements and gain teaching/coaching practice at local schools.
Alongside the degree, you are also encouraged to take an active engagement in practical work experience with internships at the local professional football, rugby and cricket clubs, and volunteering in community sports clubs. We also offer the opportunity of attaining coaching qualifications whilst studying, which often run on campus. This varies year to year, but in the past has included Level 1 NGB courses, lifeguard, first aid and disability inclusion training and we work closely with local sport partners to offer reduced rates on courses wherever possible.
Graduates from this course should be excellently placed to pursue a career in sport development, sport coaching, move into further study to become teachers, or apply the transferable skills nurtured to a range of other graduate careers.
More info: Click here
- Sport and Leisure Management (20 Credits)
- The Social Context of Sport (20 Credits)
- Careers and Employability in Sport
- Sport Pedagogy for Coaching 1 (20 Credits)
- Introduction to Physical Education and School Sport (20 Credits)
- Introduction to Sport and Exercise Psychology (20 Credits)
- Sports Development (20 Credits)
- Work Placement (20 Credits)
- Sport Research Methods (20 Credits)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment in PE (20 Credits)
- Positive Psychology Coaching (20 Credits)
- Strategic Sport Management (20 Credits)
- Sport, Society & Social Equality (20 Credits)
- Event Management in Sport and Leisure (20 Credits)
- Theoretical Concepts of Coaching (20 Credits)
- Work Placement 2 (20 Credits)
- Contemporary Issues in Sport Development (20 Credits)
- Critical Issues in Physical Education (20 Credits)
- Physical Activity and Society (20 Credits)
- Sport Development Dissertation (40 Credits)