This course will allow you to study broadcast radio and the creation of audio content for other platforms, such as podcasts and websites.
You'll gain a real understanding of how a much loved medium has evolved, and what goes into creating great content. The course provides a range of practical broadcasting and journalistic skills coupled with a strong grounding in relevant media theory.
The course is designed to meet the needs of those wishing to work in broadcast media and those who wish to pursue a career within the wider field of audio content creation.
As well as delivering a range of practical professional skills, the course will also provide theoretical insigts and understanding of how the media works and how it is used in a professional context.
You will study a combination of units that, together, provide a broad range of professional knowledge and skills. In the first year you will study Reporting and Writing, Radio 101 History and Practices, Radio Skills and Understanding the Media.
In your final year there will be the option of two projects pieces, either Audio Documentary Production or Contemporary Practices and Debates in the Media. Alongside your studies you will have access to RadioLaB, the University’s very own community radio station, broadcasting across Luton and the surrounding areas on FM and available on-line, world-wide.
Throughout all years of study, students can get involved in the station, for example, by presenting, producing or working on promotions and special events.
More info: Click here
- Radio 101 History & Practice (MED046-1) Compulsory
- Radio Skills (MED030-1) Compulsory
- Reporting And Writing (MED011-1) Compulsory
- Understanding Media (MED004-1) Compulsory
- Preparing For The Audio Workplace (MED057-2) Compulsory
- Radio (MED021-2) Compulsory
- Radio Structures & Regulation (MED058-2) Compulsory
- Digital Production Skills (MED074-2) Optional
- Law, Regulation & Public Administration (MED077-2) Optional
- Dissertation Special Project - Cnc (MED079-3) Compulsory
- Practical Special Project - Cnc (MED078-3) Compulsory
- Radio 24/7 (MED013-3) Compulsory
- Contemporary Practices And Debates In The Media (MED023-3) Optional
- Radio & Audio Documentaries (MED060-3) Optional
- Routes To Market (MED080-3) Optional