Study Law in the US – The leading country for lawyers training.
Law is one of the most prestigious professions in the US, which has produced many famous people including US President Abraham Lincoln. Therefore, studying law in the US is always the desire of many students who love this field. Let’s find out the study programs and requirements to study law in the US through the following article with Applyzones.
1. Studying Law in the US
Unlike other countries in the world where students can study law right after graduating from high school, in the US, students are required to have a higher degree, equivalent to the Postgraduate level in other countries.
After the law course, students will receive a Juris Doctor degree. This type of degree is exclusive to law students. Usually, the law course will last 3 years for full-time students and 4 years for part-time students.
Law students in the US will study and become familiar with the Socrates method. This is the scientific method used in most law schools in the US. Accordingly, students will be randomly called to the podium and randomly asked about a problem or asked to solve real-life situations. Students will have to answer these questions and make their points, then give their opinions to counter the opinions of others and protect their ones. This method helps students increase theoretical thinking, practice quick reflexes as well as enhance the eloquence of a future lawyer.
Studying law in the US, students will study:
- In the first year, students will take courses on legal documents, types of contracts, civil law, constitutional law and how to write legal texts.
- In the second year, students will focus more on law practice, advocacy and extracurricular activities. By the end of the second year, many students will begin to look for internships to learn, gain practical experience and practice personal skills.
- In the third year, students will choose specialized majors to study such as international law, immigration law, commercial law, business law or antitrust law, intellectual property law. After that, students will have to pass an examination of the American Bar Association. This exam will determine whether you are eligible to practice law.
2. Why study law in the US?
Leading training program
No other country in the world trains law as well as the United States. 90% of the top richest lawyers in the world is in America. Not only that, but the US also has 6 out of the top 10 law universities in the world. This is why international students choose the United States to study this field.
Studying law in the US, students not only learn the knowledge of the law as well as the legal system in books but also through practical experience and real-life situations. These are ways of working, thinking, approaching problems and finding solutions to solve problems.
3. Requirements to study law in the US
As mentioned above, the law has a highly conditional admission in the United States. To be eligible, students need to meet the following requirements:
- Have completed 4 years of studies in any major ((or equivalent)
- Have registered with the Law School Data Assembly Service (LSDAS).
- Satisfy the LSAT score of American Bar Association (ABA)
- A letter of reference
- TOEFL certificate with a high score
- Abundant financial resources to afford the tuition cost
Thus, to study law in the US, international students will take 7 years of study including 4 years of a higher education program and 3 years of law program. Students who do not have a law university degree will need to take a 4-year pre-law course to eligible study law program.
For students who have a 4-year law degree in Vietnam, if you want to study in the US, you need to pass the US law examination and your TOEFL score must be high. If you achieve excellent results, you can transfer straight to 3 years of law program without taking 4 years of pre-law course.
4. Career opportunities for law graduates
After graduating with a law degree in the US, students will have plenty of job opportunities. You can be a lawyer, prosecutor or work in other fields such as politics, diplomacy, business, economics or sports education.
5. List of the top law schools in the US
Harvard University is very famous in the world. This is a university that trains many talents for the United States in particular and the world in general. Harvard is famous for many disciplines including the prestigious law. Although the path to Harvard University is extremely difficult and the law course is not easy to enter, the practical value that a Bachelor of Laws here will provide students with open employment opportunities and great advancement in career.
New York University
New York University is also an impressive name in the list of top law universities in the US. According to statistics, up to 87% of law students are employed after graduation.
Stanford is also a good choice to study law in the US. Stanford has always affirmed its position in the list of top universities in the world thanks to the quality education and the ever-improving facilities. 73% of Stanford University law students are employed after graduation.
Above is some information about requirements, programs or leading law schools. We hope that this article will bring you useful information. Although the path to conquer the peak of the law industry in the US has many difficulties and challenges, ApplyZones believes that with determination and passion for the profession, you will surely succeed.
Have you dreamed of studying in the US? Are you wondering where to find a school or apply for studying abroad?
Do you want to save time and money by applying for studying abroad yourself without the support of overseas study consultancy center?
Let ApplyZones help you. Applyzones is the leading free online study abroad platform today.
Applyzones will help you:
- Find the right course for your ability and conditions
- Contact the school you wish to enroll in directly through the membership management system
- Apply directly without any charge
- Apply directly for an offer letter
- Update the latest admission information from universities around the world
- Compare information, entry requirements, tuition of the same field of study offered by different schools.
Let’s experience the completely free service of ApplyZones right now!